TUKIJA's responsibilities include:
- Issuing national opinions on clinical drug trials, unless the duties have been delegated to regional ethics committees;
- Issuing opinions on previously rejected trial proposals to regional ethics committees where these are resubmitted unchanged;
- Issuing opinions on the conditions for establishing a biobank;
- Advising regional ethics committees in matters of ethical principle, especially as regards clinical drug trials and provision of related training;
- Participating in international cooperation on research ethics;
- Gathering and conveying information on research ethics issues and provide information on the international debate on research ethics in the form of publications, training sessions and other such activities; and
- Promoting the public debate on medical biomedical research.